More than half of all gifts purchased this year for Christmas will be technology related, according to new research.
The findings come from Purch’s 2017 Christmas Spending Survey, conducted independently by OnePoll among 2,000 18-55 year olds.
- More than half of the tech gifts (52%) purchased as gifts this year will be for children
- 41% of respondents said they would be shopping for technology related christmas gifts during black friday this year.
- 22% will be shopping for tech in the first two weeks of December.
- Tablets and video games will rule this year as top tech purchases during black friday with 24% and 22% of shoppers respectively.
- Only 8% will purchase cameras, and only 7% were interested in purchasing voice activated smart speakers such as the Amazon Echo or Google Home.
- A third of consumers say that Brexit price uncertainty means they are more likely to shop for bargains during Black Friday.
The average spend on technology related gifts this year is estimated at £404
- Trust in social media and TV ads is at an all-time low, possibly as a backlash to the fake news epidemic that has taken hold this year
Read more about our recent survey on Net Imperative.
More coverage of the survey can be found on MarketingTech.