Yahoo continues to go after editors with magazine experience to lead up its digital content verticals.
Andy Serwer is the tech giant’s latest hire, coming over as editor-in-chief of Yahoo Finance. Serwer had been editor of Fortune for eight years until leaving the post last year.
“In a way, joining Yahoo is a return to my digital-first roots,” he wrote on his personal Tumblr page. “I started going to Yahoo Finance for market news and data years ago while writing my daily blog, ‘Streetlife,’ which launched in September 1997 at Fortune.com…for all of Yahoo Finance’s scale and success, I see a tremendous opportunity to elevate it further. I look forward to exploring all the possibilities that the digital realm has to offer and to pushing out to other forms such as live events. The elevation process also entails expanding the creation of original premium content. This means bringing in distinguished reporters and journalists to break news and do groundbreaking and award-winning stories both in text and video and on mobile.”
Here’s the rest of this week’s people on the move:
- Jay Gallagher was named publisher of Men’s Journal. Gallagher had been associate publisher of the magazine since 2013.
- LinkedIn has hired three editors to bolster its content production team. Caroline Fairchild will be a San Francisco-based new economy editor, Ramya Venugopal will be a senior editor based in India, and Maya Pope-Chappell will cover education and millenials based in New York.
- Penske Media named Paul Jowdy senior vice president and group publisher of WWD. Jowdy had been vice president and publisher of WWD.
- Philip Michaels has been hired by Purch to be senior editor of Tom’s Guide and LaptopMag.com. Michaels had been the editor-in-chief of TechHive and executive editor of MacWorld.com.
- Marie Claire appointed Dawn Reese as Los Angeles director. Reese had been luxury director of sales for Glamour.
- Vulture, New York’s entertainment news vertical, has hired three writers. Gazelle Emami has been brought as senior editor, while Lauretta Charlton and Dee Lockett join as associate editors.
- Kelsey Keith was named editor-in-chief of Vox Media’s Curbed. Keith had been special projects editor for Dwell.
Read more: http://www.foliomag.com/2015/people-move-6/